Steps by Republicans both at the federal and state level to get rid of services for our women and children (and men, yes men do use Planned Parenthood as well) and the poor have caused women not only in the Democratic party but in the Republican party as well to revolt against their barbaric agenda.
Since their wins in 2010, instead of focusing on jobs, which was the platform they ran on (remember jobs, jobs, jobs…not one jobs bill yet by the way), they have focused like a laser on things like defunding Planned Parenthood whose almost sole focus is to provide contraception, annual checkups, cancer screenings, and ending or defunding government programs like WIC and Medicaid whose purpose is to help low-income families and elderly.
Here is a list of some of the things they have been doing since their wins in 2010.
- Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income kids’ preschool program. Why? No need, they said. Women should really be home with the kids, not out working.
- Two-thirds of the elderly poor are women, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.
- Republicans want to cut nearly a billion dollars of food and other aid to low-income pregnant women, mothers, babies, and kids.
- Republicans not only want to reduce women’s access to abortion care, they’re actually trying to redefine rape. After a major backlash, they promised to stop. But they haven’t yet. Shocker.
- And at the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 kids could lose their spots in preschool.
- In Congress, Republicans have a bill that would let hospitals allow a woman to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life.
- Congress just voted for a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.
- A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of rape, stalking, and domestic violence to “accuser.” But victims of other less gendered crimes, like burglary, would remain “victims.”
- In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care. (Yep, for real.)
- And if that wasn’t enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal family planning program. (For humans. But Republican Dan Burton had a bill to provide contraception for wild horses).
“‘Forcible Rape’ Language Remains In Bill To Restrict Abortion Funding,” The Huffington Post, February 9, 2011 http://www.moveon.org/r?r=206084
“Extreme Abortion Coverage Ban Introduced,” Center for American Progress, January 20, 2011 http://www.moveon.org/r?r=205961
“Georgia State Lawmaker Seeks To Redefine Rape Victims As ‘Accusers,'” The Huffington Post, February 4, 2011 http://www.moveon.org/r?r=206007
“South Dakota bill would legalize killing abortion doctors,” Salon, February 15, 2011 http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2011/02/15/south_dakota_abortion_killing_bill
“House GOP Proposes Cuts to Scores of Sacred Cows,” National Journal, February 9, 2011
“New GOP Bill Would Allow Hospitals To Let Women Die Instead Of Having An Abortion,” Talking Points Memo, February 4, 2011
“Republican Officials Cut Head Start Funding, Saying Women Should be Married and Home with Kids,” Think Progress, February 16, 2011
“Bye Bye, Big Bird. Hello, E. Coli,” The New Republic, February 12, 2011
“House GOP spending cuts will devastate women, families and economy,” The Hill, February 16, 2011
“House passes measure stripping Planned Parenthood funding,” MSNBC, February 18,2011
“GOP Spending Plan: X-ing Out Title X Family Planning Funds,” Wall Street Journal, February 9, 2011
Ibid. “Birth Control for Horses, Not for Women,” Blog for Choice, February 17, 2011
Thanks to moveon.org.